Seitan Mock Beef Stew
A rich, thick stew made with seitan and lots of good veggies.
It's especially tasty served with hot French bread on a cold night.
Yield 6 servings
Time 50 minutes
◦2 T oil
◦1 pound seitan, cubed
◦2 c vegetable stock or water
◦1 large onion, chopped
◦2 cloves garlic, minced
◦2 bay leaves OR 1 t oregano
◦1 T soy sauce
◦½ c burgundy or other strong red wine
◦1 T maple syrup
◦dash allspice, cloves, or nutmeg
◦1 pound carrots, sliced
◦1 pound potatoes, cubed
◦1 stalk celery, sliced
◦1 T flour
- Heat the oil, add seitan, and sauté until nicely brown,
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients except flour. - Cover and simmer,
stirring occasionally, until potatoes are cooked, 20-30 minutes. Add
more stock or water as needed. Remove bay leaves.
- Take a couple T of liquid from the stew and put into bowl.
Whisk in the flour until dissolved, then add to stew. Cook another
3-4 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the seitan and serve.
Your question and comments are welcome