Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
1 cup dry quinoa
1/2 Tbs. olive oil
3 orange bell peppers
3 yellow bell peppers
1 red onion, diced
1/2 lb. small mushrooms, sliced
1 cup carrots, diced (2-4 depending on size)
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup densely packed chopped parsley
1/4 lb. baby spinach
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper (to taste)
1/2 lb. large roasted, salted cashews
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat; add onions and
cook about 10 minutes; add mushrooms and continue cooking another 4
to 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and red pepper, cooking for few minutes, add
parsley and spinach, mixing after each addition; let spinach soften,
then season vegetables with cinnamon & cumin.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; remove from heat and blend in
- Prepare peppers for stuffing using a sharp paring knife; cut in
a circle around the stem, about ½ inch away from the stem; remove
seed mass from stem cover with knife, and remove the pepper webbing
and seeds; rinse peppers to discard remaining seeds.
- While preheating the oven to 350°F, gently pack peppers with
vegetable quinoa mixture, making sure to fully stuff each pepper;
top each with its respective stem cover.
- Rub a few drops of olive oil on a large covered baking pan to
- Place peppers standing upright in the pan; cover the pan and
place in the oven for 45-50 minutes; check for tenderness – peppers
are done when there is a slight give to the pepper; remove before
the skin is soft.
Your question and comments are welcome