From Christian Vegetarian Association (CVA)
Easy Flaked Almond “Tuna” Salad
1 cup raw almonds, soaked
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons vegan mayo (I use soy-free veganaise)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2-1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, to taste
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Pinch of kelp granules (optional)
1 English cucumber, peeled (if desired) and sliced into 1cm rounds
- Soak almonds in a bowl of water for 3-9 hours until plump. Drain
and rinse well.
- Add almonds into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
It should look a bit like flaked tuna. Place into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped celery, green onion, garlic, mayo, mustard, and lemon
into the bowl. Stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Add a pinch of kelp granules if desired.
- Slice cucumber into rounds, if using. With a small spoon, gently
scoop out the centre of each cucumber round to create a small well.
- Spoon the almond mixture onto each cucumber round. Serve on a platter if
- You can also serve it in a pita, with crackers, or on top of a
salad. Refrigerate leftover salad for up to 3 days.