Christian Vegetarian Association
Take Heart Contents
| Animal Issues | Articles |
Athletes | Bible | Children |
Devotionals | Environment
| Food | Health |
Opinion | Poetry |
Christian Vegetarian Association Presents:
Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
• 1 small pumpkin or red kuri squash,
de-seeded and cut into chunks
• 3 medium carrots, peeled and
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
• 1 cup water
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
• 1/4 teaspoon thyme salt and
pepper to taste
• 1/2 cup white wine
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup soy cream (optional)
• Garnish with croutons or
- In a large soup pot, heat
- Add the chopped carrots and begin to sauté to soft.
- Add the pumpkin/squash chunks and continue to cook to soften. Stir
often to avoid sticking or scorching.
- Add the chopped ginger,
onion and shallot.
- Add the water, thyme, cloves and allspice
and allow the vegetables to cook until soft.
- Puree the
vegetables. It will be quite thick.
- Thin with the orange juice
- Season to taste with the brown sugar, salt and
- We found the soup to be delicious at this point.
If you wish a thinner soup you can add more orange juice or wine.
- If you wish you can add soy or any non dairy cream, however we
didn’t think it was needed.
- We garnished the soup with pumpkin
seeds and enjoyed the soup with whole grain rolls.
you prefer, the pumpkin and carrots can be roasted in the oven.
Your question and comments are welcome
Copyright 2008 © Christian Vegetarian Association. All rights