Chocolate Orange Cake
8 oz. (200g) plain wholemeal flour
4 oz. (100g) vegan margarine
4 oz. (100g) raw cane sugar
1 tbs syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/3 pint (175ml) orange juice (or use soya milk)
2 tbsps baking powder
2 tbsps cocoa powder
1 tbsp orange peel, finely grated (or chopped nuts)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C / 350 °F.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and syrup.
- In a jug, stir bicarb. or soda into orange juice and add to
- Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt and gradually stir
into the bowl.
- Add orange peel. Spoon the mixture (which will be quite sloppy)
into a medium sized square tin.
- Generously sprinkle the top with more sugar.
-Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until cooked in the centre.
- Cool briefly in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack.
Your question and comments are welcome